Slow and steady winning the race brings to mind the very familiar story of Hare & Tortoise , in which the speedy Hare relaxes during the race being over-confident of his ability to win the race against a very slow tortoise, while on the other hand the slow but steady tortoise wins the race due to his consistent action.
What does this story really tells you? Although a child tale , this story has a number of lessons for us. Especially for those of us who are just overwhelmed by the too much stuff/tasks on hand.
What Happens When You Are Overwhelmed?
When we are overwhelmed,one of the two scenarios materialize:
- We start doing everything, make a mess and HALT!
- We stay still, relaxing and procrastinating i.e. pro-longing the task which also results in a big HALT!
How Can We Overcome This?
- Relax and breathe deeply. Now evaluate your situation.
- Pick one single spot/task that needs to be done.
- Slowly and steadily do it. Set a timer for say 30 or 15 or even for 2 minutes. Focus on the task at hand.
- Repeat the mantra “I can do it” in your brain.
- Accomplish the task.
This is how being slow and steady can help you accomplish a lot of things.
If you need encouragement, wait for my personal testimonial that is coming soon (slowly and steadily 🙂 ). I hope that will make the importance of “Slow and Steady“clear to you.
So take it one step at a time and accomplish it slowly and steadily.